Sunday, December 9, 2012

Elf on the Shelf



I would say for the last 8 years I have heard of this "Elf on the Shelf".

I thought how high maintentance! Then all the mischief. They make messes?

What mom needs more messes around the holiday? I was thankful WE didn't have an elf.

No one really mentioned it so I figured we were safe.

I see pictures of the elf and all his hiding places secretly so glad I didn't have THAT on my mom plate too! But this year was a little different. Mary's teacher has had writing prompts about this elf. All her classmates talk about their elves....SO I pretend not to notice- Really? There's an elf? And he sits on a shelf? How boring! The past 2 days she has whined, "I want an elf."

So............... I think to myself. She is growing up so fast. She's nearly a preteen. This childhood won't last long. So after going all over town by the 4th store I locate some elves on shelves.... I avoided this moment for so long for a very good reason. I am not that kind of mom. I wake up at the last minute. I don't get up an hour before my children. They usually wake ME up. They get up at 6:30 on Saturdays...I forget things occasionally. I work and have a part time dr husband! I knew this elf culture takes more than I have to give!

But then again...the ever closing childhood thought looms. I even convince myself when I am no longer working maybe in a couple of years I would have plenty of time for an elf! Yah! and Mary will only be......11. That's not too old for an elf right? Well, time is short and kids don't stay kids forever... and I caved. So meet Cookie. Our new elf on the Shelf! ps. I had every intention of him appearing like magic at the front door in his box and everyone would be surprised and filled with wonder. I even pulled up and checked in the windows to make sure the coast was clear. Well, as me and Cookie were coming inside Mary busted us and knew right away what it was. See? THIS is why I have avoided this Elf moment. Hour 1 FAIL! Oh well. Maybe there will still be wonder and all that despite me!

No comments:

Post a Comment