Thursday, December 13, 2012

Growing on Me

It took me 3 years to fall in love with Chattanooga.

The first two were changing schools and getting settled and meeting people.

The 3rd year is when I met my best friends. That's why I loved Chattanooga.

My friends.

Leaving Chattanooga was leaving them. Although after being gone for 2 years I am relieved to know I never left them. We still talk all the time-daily, weekly, and visit often in person. Leaving people I love was something I'd done before. I still remember the moving truck pulling away from Louisiana, and I remember driving away from my mom, sister, nephew, aunt, and uncle. I probably would have been even more devastated had I known I'd be away for so long. But now I guess I could say I am falling for Nashville. The culture, the city, and most of all the people.

I was looking for some party heels today and had tried on a few pair. I told the sales girl at Dillards I was going for sexy, but I really liked one pair that were red patent leather with a thicker heal. She said, "Well, these look like something a teacher would wear!" I fell over laughing and said, "That's the problem, I AM a teacher! And that's the kind of shoe I keep getting." I said, "If my girlfriends were here they would make me get the sexy shoe." She said, "Well, they're not, but I'm here and I'm not letting you buy this."

I said, "Really? I can't buy this red shoe?" She said, "No, it's just not sexy enough."

This is the exact reason I was made to live in the South. Number one-girlfriends are the zest of life. Number two- when they aren't out with you shopping, any old sales girl will pop in and take that role if needed. People are friendly. I love friendly. I guess Nashville has grown on me because of the new wonderful friends I have made. I have grown to like them so much. We've had girls nights out, girls night in, shopping expeditions, manis and pedis (a few times). We know which salons serve wine and which don't! I went to a baby shower today of a wonderful friend and I thought, I'm staying here (in Nashville). I will get to see that baby grow! I look forward to being able to help my friends the way they help me all the time.

I feel lucky of all the places I could have ended up....I ended up here with such a great group of friends! As I signed the receipt I thought to myself, I have taught for two years now I know 40 sets of parents and kids. People know me here now and my husband has operated on many people here. It just feels different when you live somewhere and you know you are leaving than when you live somewhere and the plan is to stay. Everything feels like more of an investment.

Yes,
I can say it only took 2 years but Nashville has definetly grown on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment