Friday, September 12, 2014

Deal with it Head On...Or Should I Say Hair On?

There are many things in life I am not good at. One thing is confrontation. I would much rather run and hide or just run than deal with uncomfortable situations.


Meet Ostrich, insert head into sand. Yah that's me.


It sure is cozy in this dark hole.

Wednesday I went to my same girl at my same salon to cover my same silver roots to get my same color, highlight, and trim. She was very distracted. In the end she asked if it was ok if she went and cut someone's hair and some other new girl was going to rinse my hair and dry it/style it.

Ok. Here it is. I smile and nod when things are not ok with me! I say, "Sure, ok?" When I am thinking, "No! Not ok, I am paying to have YOU do it and made an appointment with YOU!" I also am thinking when they rinse the color that's the time they make sure it's ok and decide if it's not to add a toner, gloss, whatever before the client sees the end result.

Also, I revel in the way this person always styles my hair and it gets to look good once a month.

Anyway, I noticed right away it was....brassy. My least favorite word. Also the new girl flat ironing my hair was pulley and jerky with the hairbrush. So basically in the car while I was contemplating that the bangs were not right, the color was different, and the cut in choppy layers I get a phone call.

Me- "Hello"

Some strange lady from some Dr's office I've never heard of- "Yes, I am calling to schedule your colonoscopy."

Me-"Ummm........silence......What?!?"

Lady-"Is your Doctor, Doctor L?"

Me-"yes!"

Lady-"Well he called us and said you needed a colonoscopy."

Me- "Well, he could have told me first!!"

Lady- "Well do you want to schedule it?"

Me-"No, not right now until I speak to my Dr.!"

So anyway I was a little distracted due to this phone call about my dissatisfaction about my hair because lets face it now I am dealing with a bigger pain in the A#*!


I get home with my ostrich feathers a bit ruffled from the day and my husband is home.....early.

My husband....lets say he has a tourettes like type of honesty. He says turn around so he can "inspect" my hair. I turn then look at him. He says immediately in true tourettes style, "I don't like it! Who did it, what did she do different?"

All very quickly.

I leave. I can't deal with a bad hair cut appointment, a surprise colonoscopy call, and my husband's tourettes critique style at the moment.

Where else can a girl go to calm down?? To get a pedicure. Nothing like a good leg rub down and a new color to cool my jets. I spend the next two days trying to figure out what is wrong with my hair.

I go to a friend to shape my bangs back to normal but we realize my color is oddly darker even though I got highlights.

The next day I decide I can just deal with it and go somewhere else in 7 weeks to fix it.


Then today came. I woke up and threw a pair of capri pants on with my husbands raggedy over sized t-shirt. I was in the kitchen getting ready to take the kids to school and finish up their breakfast routine when my husband comes down in his dress pants and mint green bow tie, takes a look at me and says, "ew!" not only "ew" but gives a frightened shake and shiver!!! In a very tourettes like style. I tell him he's mean (in a calm loving joky tone of course) and M says, "Mom but what if we have to stop again today and help someone who fell and you look like that?!"

I laugh and say, "Today we are taking the interstate!"

We leave. As I drop the kids off and get nearly all the way back home I realize M has forgotten her iPad in my car. She has to bring it everyday fully charged to school! I can't turn around and take the iPad inside the school because I look like Freddy Krueger! So I go home run upstairs change into a real shirt with actual undergarments and put on actual makeup. I make the 25 minute drive BACK to M's school and deliver her iPad.

She hugs me long and sweetly. The kind where she just squeezes, nuzzles her head into my neck and doesn't let go for a good minute-right in the middle of the hallway of her MIDDLE school! In public. At school. I melt. It was worth the trip.

As I get home I realize I've got all day and I need to face up to the fact that I paid $140 for a hair highlight that looks dark, a base color that is brassy, and a haircut that clearly proves my girl was having an off day.

I call my girlfriend who always tells me what I need to hear even when I don't want to hear it.

She says, "You know what you've got to do. You've got to call the salon and tell them.....you don't like it."

******************************************GULP******************************************************

But I don't want to! What if she is offended? What if they think I'm a crotchety B word! Don't make me!


She's right, I do it. I call and explain I don't like it and go in because they said come in right away.

So uncomfortable! I am not good facing things head on!

The girl apologizes and consults with the head lady to see how to get the brassy out. Then I add on that *gulp* Please don't hate me, but......I don't like the cut either! (wants sand to hide in)

She says no problem she can fix it. She does. The awkwardness wore off and she admitted that after she cut my hair on Wed. she got her's colored.....and.....she didn't like it! Had to ask them to fix it!


That made me feel so much better. It happens.

She fixed it and I feel much better looking at my hair in the mirror now. So I won't have to choke on the fact that I spent $140 on a service that did me no benefit at all!

I'm trying and sometimes need a nudge from a girlfriend every now and then to be brave. Be bold and face life Head or I should say Hair on!


ps. I am lucky I don't need to say to my husband, "You were right, it was a bad cut!" Because like me, he humors my tourettes like texts that come after his tourettes like reactions and we just love each other's quirks, move on, and laugh later.

No comments:

Post a Comment