Tuesday, December 2, 2014

How Many of These Days are Left?

I woke up this morning with a massive headache. I woke thinking WHY did I drink TWO glasses of sweet tea (decaf at that) yesterday? Sweet Tea is like coffee on my list of drink only once in a blue moon or I will be paying the price! Anyway, I got the kids up and crawled back in bed about 3 times. Then my husband said, "If you get them ready (which is funny because I always get them ready!) I will bring them to school."

That motivated me a bit more so I crawled out one final time. That and the dog downstairs gave the cowbell next to the back door a good firm ring with paws scratching on the door-which means he REALLY needs to go now!

I left the lights out but plugged the Christmas tree in-that's better! I glanced at Cookie the Elf. The first day Cookie the Elf came out this year, I mean came back from the North Pole- we had returned from Louisiana which we were in the car for 23 hours round trip with my husband, kids, and dog baby-Sonny.


Cookie was on the fireplace mantle when we got home blending with the Nutcrackers. The next morning W was the first to notice Cookie hiding amongst the Nutcrackers on the fireplace. Well, that night we were all exhausted from all the traveling (and the food we ate) and well...Cookie didn't move-The FIRST night! Oops!

Luckily M is on to me now since she started Pinterest and noticed Mommy had an- I Caved! Elf on the Shelf Pinterest Board. So she told her little brother he must have been too tired from his trip! I remember when she first noticed the Pinterest board and gave me a look. I was so mad I didn't think about that when I said she could do Pinterest. Isn't it funny how our kids get older and it's still fun to play along with the magic? Even when we know they know? Maybe because the magic is in the one sided effort of the parents doing crazy things like moving an elf every night just to see the delight of their kids' faces the next morning.

I was adamant against an elf at first. I was like, "Ain't nobody got time for that!" Then M's 3rd grade teacher used the Elf as a writing prompt each morning-What did YOUR elf do? So of course M couldn't be the only one without an elf! So Cookie appeared. And it has been one of the MOST fun traditions we have ever had. This is our 3rd year. Paul and I fight over who gets to move him and what he does.

Anyway, this morning Cookie was a good bad little Elf because He MOVED! He not only moved but he brought chocolate donuts and ate one evident from the chocolate all over his face.



So the lights are still off due to my headache, and I scramble some cheesy eggs and whip up some Kale, Pineapple, Banana, Greek Yogurt smoothies to balance out the chocolate donuts the kids will be eating. When the kids come down the lights come on and the kitchen wakes up!


It turns out to be a fish tail braid morning which means this was one of those calm, rare, perfect mornings that everything can get done. Did I mention calm? And rare??

I even managed to remember W's snack and it was a good one :)


Funny how being a mom will make you remember midday about snacks or lack there of or if your child will get their fruit servings in or not today along with the millions of other things we ponder randomly during the day.

Then I was outside in the freezing cold drizzle admiring and taking a picture of our Christmas wreath:


But as I saw the picture I noticed the cord so around 6:55 AM I am out in the rain in what my husband said was barely a thread of clothing restringing the cord and retaking the picture!



I am in the countdown now that it is December. I will be a teacher again in 2015 and I get to do something amazing like I am doing now at home. The teacher that gave the elf writing prompt? She along with all my children's teachers altered something in the course of our life. The elf is a small example of how she made one choice and for years later her creativity is still bringing massive joy to us in our family traditions. But THAT's what good teachers always do! They don't teach, they change the course of children's, families' lives in the way they teach, bond, communicate, inspire, uncover talents and gifts. It changes everything. The course of lives.

So yeah, I'm counting how many more days will be like this morning where I get to cook in my pajamas in silence with the lights out except for the Christmas tree. I am savoring it. But something else is coming too that when it comes will also be savored.

I had a thought last night as I was waiting on my husband to get back from the gym. Here's my thought:

Today is everyday.

What I was thinking is how we are creatures of habit and the things we choose to do today most likely will take up the majority of our lives. Unless one day we change the "today". I was thinking how many days the routine is cook, clean, shower, screen time ourselves to death, sleep, wake, repeat.

I have some insight on how people (me) can make life "better". Just change one day. Today. Just do what you want to be able to do one. single. day. Our creature of habit brains will do the rest. Turn off the electronics, lock the bedroom door (if you have kids) and make love to your spouse.....yes I said that. Married people should talk like that so there are less divorces and more satisfied married people. That is a glue that holds marriage together-it's called passion, intimacy, expressing love. And do it like it's the last time you may get to.

Cook a meal that will nourish and feed your body, your family, that is real food and healthy. Last night I was just dying for baked ham and pineapples the way my mom cooked with homemade mashed potatoes, greens, and cornbread. We also had cheesecake topped with cherries for dessert. If it would have been my last meal, I would have been deeply satisfied! Everyone loved dinner last night. It doesn't always work out that way. The night before we had pizza from Jets! But when it does I am so grateful.

Say what you really mean instead of keeping it inside eating at you.

Be honest.

One day. That's all. Because I truly believe that today is everyday.


My friend and I were talking on the phone yesterday about her dentist she had growing up and her dad had an appointment with him as he was the family dentist. While she and her dad were on the phone that very morning actually talking about the dentist her dad got a call canceling his dental appointment because the dentist was hit on the way to work and killed. He rode his bicycle to work everyday.

My friend said to me, "As he was getting ready for work today, do you think it ever crossed his mind it would be his last day to live?" I said, "no, no I don't. Do we ever wake up and think that? But we don't even realize how true that is. We don't know if it's our last day every single day."


I think this scripture means one when it says number. One day. Today. I think it means we don't get to know so the number is 1-today. I truly believe that today is everyday.

I think that is the wisdom part.


So in pondering all this what does that mean?

It means I want to do the things I said above with my spouse. It means I let the passive aggressive memes from people on Facebook fly right over my head, it means I overlook self righteous people that want to point out my faults because I'm too busy living my 1 day to care. It means if I don't like someone and I must be with them I remain quiet, polite, and smile to reflect my mama's good teaching and my insurmountable love for her my mom at that moment. It means I get to choose who impacts my 1 day and I don't have to let just anyone and everyone in.



It means I focus on what and who matters most based on my heart and what is healthy. It means I savor the one thanksgiving I got to be amongst family for the first time in 10 years!




We got to pass around new members of the family!


We got to eat fried boudin balls and wraps brought by my cajun aunt and uncle!


I got to witness how my family and cousins love their spouses.



It means if I get the chance to pass on my history, my memories, the joyful times in my young life to my kids I do it!


We got to do all of this. We got to be with family this year, visit the college town where Paul and I were married and so passionately in love and show it to our kids during the Festival of Lights. I got to show my kids where I worked during college. We get to forgive each other everyday just like God forgives us every single day. And start the new 1 day again as if it is our last.


And for the first time since we lived in Chattanooga I even made Christmas cards this year! Because this year is special. It's special because I don't know how many of these kind of days are left!





No comments:

Post a Comment