Friday, December 12, 2014

Tis the Season

This Christmas season has meant something different for me this year. I know it is different for everyone every year depending on life. Maybe because I've had more time as a stay at home mom to enjoy it, think about it, prepare for it. Even though I'm taking an interim position in January, I smile thinking I'll still have next December off again to do the same next year. Being the last month of the old year, and being the month we celebrate the birth of Jesus I truly wish everyone had more time off to be in the moment of it, to reflect.

For me one thing that really hit home this year was sending out Family Christmas cards. Last holiday season we had just moved to a different house and things were chaotic so no family cards. We were good if we had all boxes unpacked by Christmas! The years before life just seemed too hectic and it fell by the wayside basically since we have been in Nashville.

But this year with all my decorating and time to think about the holidays I am starting to understand the value of our family situation. As Christmas cards come in electronically or in the mail I am making a special wreath to put them on where I can enjoy them.


It's not the cards, it's the people. I may have focussed too much of my thoughts on how hard it was to live in so many places, move so many times. As I write out addresses from all over I am realizing how many caring, loving, giving, wonderful people have voluntarily come into our lives during the relocating, resettling, moving, taking new jobs and made it so much better with their presence. Strangers. Strangers that are now like our family. Strangers that have helped with our children, blessed us with their friendships, counseled us, gone to church with us, sat and listened over coffee, had dinner with us many nights, traveled with us, trained for jobs with us, lived life with us. If I could trade it all and live in one place my whole life where everything is comfy and known I wouldn't. I wouldn't miss the opportunity to have the lasting relationships and lifelong friendships.

I understand this time of year has been so hard for so many due to losses or the memories of loved ones that aren't here and this is a time to cover them in prayer. To pray for peace and comfort. To use their situations as a learning experience that we have to treasure those that mean so much to us while we can. To call those you love, to write, to let them know you care.

I was thinking about my kids. I have two and when one is hurt or upset and the other child comes to me to get help I am so appreciative that they are getting my help, but I also feel such joy that they love each other enough to intervene on the other's behalf. This is what the season is all about. Praying for each other through good times and bad.

Giving to those who need it. Loving others. Lighting up your trees, your mailboxes, and your yard to symbolize the joy and the light we receive from Christ like love.

With so much horror in the media each day I just can't write or comment on any of it. Not that I don't have an opinion. I just feel hate begets hate. So I refuse to even speak on it, indulge in it, prolong it. Love is the only cure for hate. So I'm trying to speak love. I want to teach love to my kids.

So as we decorate, celebrate, shop, give, receive-remember the story of Christ and what he did for us. What HE can still do for you. Tis the season to love one another.







Please click on the song I posted below this one- How Many Kings- and just reflect on the Light and Love of Christ. It is a powerful song and I am moved every time I hear it!


Let the Light of Christ guide you into year 2015 no matter the situation.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment