Friday, December 26, 2014

The Day After Christmas

The day after Christmas. Just me and the kids. Paul's at work busy busy today with cases. Just as I would hope for him. The house was silent this morning all company gone. All of yesterday's mess of excess is clean and carefully tucked away.




The kids are playing with all their new devices, toys, presents. I woke up hacking and coughing as I've been the past few days but feeling.....lighter. Brighter. Calm. I know women aren't supposed to love appliance gifts but.... I woke up so happy to use my new pots and pans for breakfast.


All this coming from a little girl who loved baking mud pies on pretend ovens.


I enjoyed wandering through a clean, silent house, seeing my new picture frame the kids and my husband got me with pics of family.




Everything is peaceful and the day after Christmas is here. A day many of us may not focus on. But to me it is such a special day. The day when you reap the benefits from all the gift giving, the celebrating Jesus' birth for a solid month, the visiting, the decorating, the focussing on love. It is a day of...satisfaction. When all is right with the world. A day of closure and rest as you prepare for the year's last week. It's a day when you get to prepare to start anew. Start to think, "What do I want for myself in the upcoming year?"

On Dec 5, 2012 I was time lining in my journal. Have you ever done that? If not you should-it is very interesting! I noted the highlights and best moments of my life and wrote the dates beside them. What I found may have been purely coincidental but all my favorite moments were in odd years! Born 1979. Graduated high school 1997. Graduated College and Married 2001. Had my daughter 2003. Has my son 2007. Got my masters degree in 2011- So it piqued my interest today thinking about that and how I am approaching 2015. I can hardly fathom that. It sounds like something from the Jetsons. Anyway, I was excited because great things seem to happen in the odd numbered years, and I thought to myself what about the increments of 5? So I went back to that page in my journal (3 journals ago) and added the 5 year increments.


This is what I discovered-1985 I moved to Pineville. That was life changing and very good for me. 1995 I began dating my husband and started danceline-also a life changer and a wonderful experience. 2005 We moved to Chattanooga and bought our first house, still my favorite place on Earth! 2010 Paul got into Vandy's plastic residency. All in all I think the 2015 will be lucky :)

So what do I want for myself in 2015? I always make resolutions. I just feel like it gives you a reset to do what you dream, change what you want to change. Try hard at something positive. In 2013 after living in Nashville for a year I had one resolution-Have fun. And I did that year! We went to concerts, we biked, hiked, went to Universal Studios and Disney World, we got Sonny my dog baby. We had fun. So I guess the moral of that is...be careful what you wish for-You just might get it! And we are still paying for it haha.

I'm not done thinking about it but I am leaning on the resolution for 2015 of "Love, no matter what". This applies to loving myself and my moods, mistakes, imperfections, same for my husband, kids, coworkers, students, strangers, family. I used to make a list of like 10 things that always started with Lose 10 lbs. But then in 2013 I just decided to keep it simple and attainable hence the have fun resolution. If there's one thing I know, it is that people will make mistakes (even the people you love the most), no one is perfect, everyone is human, and love is not given to us because we deserve it. No one deserves it. We all fail. Love is given through grace despite our mistakes and flaws, and mercy. I found this in my old journal and am thankful I wrote it down to help me remember it-


I learned late in life that expectations of people are unfair and come from our perspective so many times they are unrealistic. I now enjoy people for who they are not what I want them to be and can only hope I can continue that and others can as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment