Monday, August 25, 2014

Trade Scales?


Another day in the life of a stay at home mom....

I woke up and folded a load of towels and put school clothes to wash (trying to get ahead on uniforms for the week)

Then woke the kids up. My daughter has been grouchy lately waking up and she's my morning person. She is still insisting on sleeping in her brothers room in one of his 2 twin beds even though she has the comfiest (queen sized) bed in the house. I know because it was Paul's and my bed after we got married. A parent told me last week as I was helping at field day that she wakes her kids up with music. I made a mental note of that since it is taking me 3-4 trips back to W's room to wake him up.

So after 2 times I found Radio Disney on M's iPad and pushed play! It was like a Christmas miracle. As soon as the song started his eyes shot open like he was in a trance and he got up and got ready fairly quickly for the norm! Will try again tomorrow.

I couldn't have breakfast (which I don't usually eat....I know most important meal of the day starving by noon heard it before) because the Life Insurance man was sending someone today to take my height and weight (gulp), and draw blood to make sure I am a good investment for life insurance. When I heard this last week I immediately wrote down the date on my calendar and I have these "to do" sticky notes that attach to my calendar and I wrote 5 days-lose 5 lbs. I don't know why 5 lbs just thought that would be better than none and 10 well lets not be unreasonable. Now I write stuff like this down all the time so it doesn't matter if it is sound or logical.

ps. The reason we are getting life insurance even though I am not doing what you call a "paying" job is because our financial planner has (to my utter joy) informed my husband with all I take care of and do for him, the house, the kids-it would take $250,000 to replace me. Yes! I finally have at least a monetary value...by an expert no less!

So I take the kids to school and stay for a couple of hours volunteering in the book room. Then I come home and mow the lawn, run out of gas, send racy photo of me in my protective eye wear and sweaty hat to my husband from the "lawn service" noting we are out of gas so his front yard did not get properly mowed.

Then I shower and vacuum because someone's coming to draw my blood!

The man gets here and takes my height and *gulp* weight. I look at his old white scale with a vengeance as he sets it down next to my breakfast table in the kitchen. My own scale said this morning in the 5 days total I only lost a lb. Which honestly is the same lb I've lost/gained my whole adult life. It meant nothing!

Now this is the point of the blog where I know some are having strong feelings and may wish to tell me in which I already know so here I am guessing is what many will say/think

1. weight is just a number....so is age

2. muscle weighs more than fat.....I know I have a healthy balance of both and by healthy I mean hefty.

3. you shouldn't weigh yourself everyday! But I do and always have-It's a compulsion and I probably won't stop. I'm trained as a public education teacher to constantly collect data.

4. You can't lose 5 lbs in 5 days-that's not healthy. Well I wrote it but didn't truly expect to. So there.

Ok I know there are more but moving on.

The man said to get on the scale. My first thought....oh sh...oot. This isn't fair, I'm fully clothed!

But I got on the scale and squinted.....That couldn't be. The scale read a little under 130 (something that truly never happens since I have been married) I am still squinting when the very business like health man says 128 when I take away for clothes...sound right?

I say slowly yes sure. Feeling totally dishonest. I look at my license on the table to see if it matched and saw weight isn't even ON my license! When did this happen?

What I wanted to say is sir I have a scale upstairs...would you like to trade!! I mean mine even tells how many calories you have to eat to maintain that weight (which by the way never works for me).

He's moved on to height and blood and commenting if I get cold due to my lower than average blood pressure. Blah blah I'm still eyeing his very old white scale that looks like the one my grandma used to have. Obviously there's something wrong-like 7 lbs wrong with it...But I WANT it!

Granted I wasn't allowed to eat the past 17 hours before his exam but that didn't make a difference on my scale?

So he left telling me to treat myself and eat something good since I couldn't eat today until he was done. Then he left. Such a nice man. Not just because he was an LSU fan but just a nice nice man. And now I will grab a sandwich and run to check out the kid's so I can take them to the dentist for cleanings.

None the less I did not ask him to trade scales....but I should have!

No comments:

Post a Comment