Thursday, July 10, 2014

Old Habits are Hard to Break

Usually at this point in the summer I would be hauling my kids to my classroom. I would be arranging furniture that is stuck to the floor from undried wax. I would be painting things, preparing things, and filling out a huge desk calendar with every date for the entire year using the online MNPS 2014-2015 calendar. I guess you could say I still am doing this... just not for Metro Nashville Public Schools!

I am filling in the field day for 5th grade in August, the Orientation day, the school holidays. I am preparing myself in a totally different yet exciting way. Not for personal days to attend events but just to show up! It's a great feeling. I worked as a school teacher for 13 years and loved it. Every summer was met with excitement and anticipation and creativity. It still is but this time for my kids' events. For their education.
I am still nervous and a little lost but I have my desk, my calendar, my kids, and still all my old abilities to utilize. So not much has changed except this little furry guy now resides under my desk!
And I also have time for myself and to do these with a lot more intention. I plan on making sure I stay connected with my friends and will try to also do things for myself. I am looking forward to this next stage of life. More like a whole new chapter. I expect it will take me a while to get my bearings as a SAHM and my mind is really trying to sort out the change since I have worked since I was 15 without stopping. I keep having dreams that I am interviewing for a teaching job, something I have done probably about 10 times in the past 13 years! I dreamed I got hired at the kids' school and I was devastated because I realized I wouldn't be able to go to all their field trips. I woke up feeling relieved and that I made the right choice for me and the kids. Here's to old habits and new beginnings!

No comments:

Post a Comment