Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Starting New Routines

We are officially done with tween shows.... You know the networks they play on so I don't have to mention them. What is a tween show? It features kids that are parentless or the parents are so irrelevant to the plot that they never show up in the show. The leads are 8-13 year olds that are incredibly witty, sarcastic, and irreverent.


So many times in the past year or two (or more) my husband and I have heard words or phrases out of our kids' mouths that we don't exactly like the tone. Also, it sounds exactly like these shows that we have seen our kids watching. We have explained those shows are NOT real life and children should not speak to others like that especially to their parents.


Today I just had enough. Enough of the my parents owe me a good time. Enough of the I am the head of the household and my parent is here to serve me. Enough of the I am here on Earth to have a good time. Enough of the I don't have to obey the first time.


I have learned from my years of teaching that what the teacher expects will become the norm. The expectations I gave were always met by all students no matter the gender, race, socio economic class.


So what did my disappointment mean today? It meant that I was not being a good leader. So I had to put my iPad down. I had to lay out new expectations.


First: CHORES. If I want my children to grow up hard workers it won't happen by magic. Warner had to take out the garbage, vacuum upstairs (and had to be taught how to do it well). Mary had to clean the bathroom counters and sinks. When she said she was "finished" and it was still messy she had to learn when you do a job you should do it well or you will have to redo it. After they vacuumed, scrubbed the cabinets, cleaned their rooms, practiced putting clothes to wash to tell the truth they were much more humble, loving children. MY children-the ones I know!


Step 2-No more TV and IPAD for now. We need a detox. They need to unplug!



Step 3-Everything in moderation. We are going to come up today with appropriate shows that are uplifting, have a message, and encourage faith and respect to parents and God that they may watch. This is where I need some help! Here are some we have so far: Veggie Tales, Full House, The Cosby Show, 19 Kids and Counting. If anyone has some great shows OR computer games that you enjoy and are uplifting to your kids or faith based PLEASE let me know. I am INTERESTED!



Step 4-Devotions and schoolwork everyday. I want my kids to learn what I know and am trying to practice-Seek Him FIRST and all things will be added unto you. Mary actually had been reading this little devotion for girls every time we were in Walgreens. She asked me this week while we were in there if I would buy it. I did. Two days ago I was at my desk doing my "the Frazzled Female" devotion and Warner was on his iPad. I was going to ask him to go in his room but instead had a whisper on my heart to tell him what I was doing and why I wanted it quiet. So I said, "Warner mommy is having a devotion with Jesus. Can I have it quiet?" So funny how we do things so important but saying it aloud to our children seems so odd. Mary came in next I suggested she go do her devotion while I was doing mine. She wanted to know what a devotion was. It was a good learning moment for them and me.


Being a teacher has taught me SO much about parenting. I have had relationships and encounters with hundreds of parents and their children. I have seen how the parents routines, beliefs, and practices help mold their children, and lack there of as well shapes who they become.



So here's to starting new routines that are healthy, helpful, and build the soul.











No comments:

Post a Comment